At D.Mathew Blackburn, we pride ourselves on being able to assist you in all areas of law. After all, “we do attorney things!” One of the “things” we do frequently is review our client’s business contracts. Whether the contract is for a property lease or equipment rental, or it is a service agreement, it’s a good idea to have an attorney review the paperwork. Below is our top 5 reasons to have D. Mathew Blackburn review your contracts.
Top 5 Reasons to Have an Attorney Review Your Contracts
- A contract review can save you money. Sure, there is a fee to have us review your contract, but if there is a calculation error or decimal point error in the agreement, finding and locating it during review can save you money. If your lease is $1000.00 per month, but your landlord accidentally typed $10000.0. That’s a $9000 increase! Or, if your agreement is for a 12 month lease and a typo presents a 120 month lease, that’s could be drastic! A contract review by a detail oriented attorney like D. Mathew Blackburn can locate and correct these errors, saving you money.
- The law is complicated! Most contracts have several pages of legalese and jargon that means something only when something goes sideways! For example, what exactly does this mean, in English:
The parties acknowledge that it is their intention that if any provision of this Agreement is determined by a court to be unenforceable or invalid as drafted, that provisions should be construed in a manner designed to effectuate the purpose of that provision to the greatest extent possible under applicable law.
A good attorney can translate content such as this, and then explain it to you in a way that makes sense.
- It’s always a good idea to fix problems before they become problems. A contract review can expose details that were never discussed and give you a broader picture of what the agreement actually entails. You don’t want to discover that your new potential office space is locked and inaccessible on Sundays when your office is open seven days a week.
- You want to have an attorney like D. Mathew Blackburn review your contracts so that you don’t have to become an expert in leasing, rentals, or service agreements. Finding an attorney that you trust, one who will read the document with your best interest in mind, is a great way to remove stress from your life and allow you to focus on those business areas that are of your primary importance.
- A contract review by an attorney representing you is critical because the company or client presenting YOU with the contract has an attorney representing them! Do you think that your future landlord wrote that document in front of you? Or that forklift warehouse manager penned that rental agreement? They did not. Those companies have teams of lawyers representing their interests. Doesn’t it make sense to have someone on your side representing your interests?
Please let us know how D. Mathew Blackburn can help you with your contracts and agreements. We’d love to learn more about you and your business and represent your interests before you sign your next contract.